My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Saturday, March 05, 2011

Chinese Take-Out

My husband brought home Chinese take-out from our favourite Chinese restaurant last night.  This restaurant is quite good.  They offer a 10% discount on pick-up orders of $22 or more.  We usually order the regular dinner for three ($29.95).  Along with our regular order he also got sweet and sour shrimp and won ton soup.

Chinese take-out
Now a funny thing happened this morning as I was getting this post ready.  When I went to upload the picture, I noticed another picture for Chinese food fairly similar to this one I took last night.  There went my plans for talking about last night's meal!  Apparently I had already shared this with you back in February of 2010.  So onto plan B.

Many Chinese dishes are relatively easy to make at home and we often do.  One of the key ingredients for chow mein and eggrolls is bean sprouts.  Sprouts take about 4 days to harvest so planning ahead is necessary for making Chinese dishes requiring sprouts at home.  I will post a few of our homemade Chinese dishes as I make them.  Do watch for the homemade fortune cookies as well.  I'm sure you will like those!


3 food lovers commented:

LindaG said...

Sprouts take about 4 to harvest

4 what? Do you make your own sprouts?

When I do spring rolls for my family, I usually just buy the canned, as I have found they work better for that. :)

When we do stir fry though, we always buy fresh.

Look forward to seeing your recipes, though, because I love Chinese! :)

Garden Gnome said...

Sorry about that Linda :) It should say 'days'. Yes, I do grow sprouts for use in Asian dishes. They taste so much fresher than even fresh store bought and they are cheaper. It's also convenient too as our local grocery stores don't always have sprouts in stock.

LindaG said...

Thanks, GG. Next time I make spring rolls, I might give this a try ahead of time.
I bookmarked your sprout instructions. Thanks for that! :)