My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Fish Fry Fare

How is that title for alliteration?  I have written a few times about fish fries on this blog.  These small, volunteer run events are run as fund raisers for the organization hosting the fish fry.  Fish fries are always a lot of fun.  They are very much a social event usually with the same people attending each time.  They are a nice way to enjoy eating out while providing community support.  

fish fry fare
We went to a community fish fry two weeks ago this Friday.  The food served at fish fries is simple, home style cooking by volunteers.  This was an all you can eat fish fry with the regular offerings that included perch, pickerel, baked beans, French fries, corn. coleslaw and dinner rolls. There were cheese, pickle and vegetable trays.  As always the food was delicious!

Due to an injury that night I find myself still on crutches which means no cooking.  What this really means is boredom is starting to set in as I haven't been able to do much especially in the kitchen.  Don't worry though as I still have plenty of cooking to write about until I'm back in my kitchen.  In the meantime I going through recipe books looking for new recipes to try.


5 food lovers commented:

Fishlover said...

Wow I can't help it! I was adgitizing here until I see this picture, oh this looks so yummy. Oh I miss my husband's cooking (he is american and I'm filipino)

LindaG said...

I hope you heal quickly. ♥

Anonymous said...

Oh, a fish fry! Please feel better soon!

Garden Gnome said...

Thanks Fishlover :) It was yummy!

Garden Gnome said...

Thanks for the well wishes Linda and Jing Loh.