My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Biscuit Topped Stew

Stews like soups, chili and chowders originated as a frugal way to stretch a little meat and vegetables during the long winter months.   While the type of meat varied the vegetables used were those that kept nicely in the root cellar.  Typically these vegetables were carrots, winter squash, potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, and cabbage. 

slow cooker beef stew
The nice thing about stew is you really don't need a recipe.  As a result there is a lot of possible variations.  I add whatever strikes my fancy when it comes to vegetables often adding corn, peas or green beans.

I made a typical beef stew in the slow cooker.  I browned the stew beef in a little olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning then poured that into the slow cooker complete with the liquid.  Next I added prepared carrots, potatoes, onion, water, and bayleaf.  I programmed the slow cooker for 7 hours on low.   About two hours before the cooking time was up I stirred in corn niblets followed by sliced mushtooms about an hour later.  Finally I added Worcestershire sauce, a cornstarch slurry to let the juices thicken in the last fifteen minute and set the slowcooker on high.

biscuits topping stew
We enjoyed a hearty bowl of the stew that night for dinner.  The following day was cold, blustery do nothing day.  I topped the leftover stew with biscuit mix dropped by dessert spoonfuls on top of the stew.  My husband took care of the baking and getting the dish into and out of the oven.  The biscuits and stew were baked at 400ºF until the biscuits were golden brown and the stew warmed through. 

The following day my husband took the leftover biscuits and stew to the office to share with one of our kids.  There small batch of stew was enough for six healthy sized serving.

stew with biscuits
The biscuit topping added a nice dimension to the second dinner.  They were similar to dumplings on the bottom yet biscuit-like on the top.  It was a lovely, homemade meal perfect for a do nothing day!

The nice thing about both dinners was low prep that could be done sitting down and they were since pot dishes.  This was very much appreciated since I'm still on crutches.  It's times like this that all the home canning I do comes in handy.  However, we are getting the freezers ready for our annual purchase so need to work on using the meat in them up.  


6 food lovers commented:

Anonymous said...

The addition of the topped biscuit definitely adds an interesting dimension to stews, I'll have to try it! Maybe a topping of baked-mashed potato would be interesting too, almost like stew-sheppards pie!

Mama Mia said...

We are rice people here in Manila, but I personally like eating stews and steaks with a biscuit or some mashed potatoes. Yum!

Anji said...

That does add something different. I love stews but the rest of the family needs a bit of coaxing sometimes. thanks for the idea.

I found your blog on ExposeYourBlog!

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Jing Loh, with mashed potatoes on top it would be a cottage pie. I make those as well and are quite good!

Garden Gnome said...

Rice is good :) We eat a lot of it too but I agree that stews are yummy!

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Anji :) You're welcome and I hope your family enjoys biscuit topped stew.