My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Friday, June 17, 2011

Spaghetti with Sausage

Our meals tend to get a bit on the creative side during using easy recipes the last few days of being at our vacation home.  That is because most things that need refrigerating can't easily be brought home when we fly and only and limited number can be brought home when we fly.  My frugal bones tells me to use up what we can rather than wasting it by throwing out.  So it does get rather interesting but out of that experimentation born of necessity comes a few good dishes worthy of tweaking a bit further.    So it was with the spaghetti with sausage dish I whipped up.  

spaghetti with sausage
I need fresh basil so always buy a small pot for harvesting when we are at our vacation home!  Dry pasta stores well so I can still buy that at Sam's Club but a lot of other foods are problematic.  I had a half package of bulk breakfast sausage and butter to use up.  My husband wanted pasta for dinner, specifically buttered garlic pasta.  I decided to kick the dish up a notch.  Normally I would pair butter garlic pasta with shrimp but this time I added browned breakfast sausage, chopped onions, shredded carrots and a sprig of basil.  The dish was quite tasty!  It surprised me because normally I would have gone for a saucier type of topping and in hindsight this would have been very good with a béchamel sauce but the last of our milk was in reserve for my morning coffee.  What I really liked is the flavours melded nicely even though that wasn't apparent when I first set out to create the dish.


0 food lovers commented: