My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Monday, September 20, 2010

Frugal Kitchens 101 - Labeling Home Preserved Foods

Frugal Kitchens 101

Home preserved foods need to be labeled and there are many ways of doing this depending on how the food is to be stored.  Many home canners either buy or print off custom made labels for their home canned foods but the logistics of this is not very practical when doing larger scale canning.  Labels add to the cost of home preserved products and in my opinion an unnecessary cost.  Besides most labels are a pain to get off the jars.  They have to be soaked off or they will gunk up your dishwasher.  However it is still important to label the food and date it was preserved when storing.  This week's Frugal Kitchens 101 discusses how I label foods for storage.

  • home canned foods using single use metal snap lids - I use a Sharpie to write directly on the lid.  It is simple and effective.
  • home canned foods using reusable canning lids - A Sharpie leaves a ghost mark on the lids so I don't want to use that since these lids will be around for a couple of decades.  I started off writing directly on the jar with a Sharpie but have since changed to using painter's tape.  It's a cheap solution.
  • home canned foods stored in boxes - I rotate my home canned foods so quite often it is stored in the cardboard boxes the jars originally came in.  Once I'm out of a row of food on the shelves the food in the boxes is moved to the shelves to replenish the supply.  I label the boxes using painter's tape and a Sharpie.  I include the content, number of jars of each content and year.  I can quickly glance at a box and know when the food should be used up by.  While home canned foods keep much longer that the USDA recommended 1 year they will lose a bit nutritionally so my comfort level hovers at the 2 year mark.  
  • home frozen foods - Our bulk meat purchases come labeled with a stamp from the abattoir's so unless I buy meats from a grocery store I really don't have to worry about labeling.  Any commercially frozen foods is already labeled.  I use a Sharpie to label contents and date for anything I put into vacuum sealed bags or containers.  
  • home dried and bulk dried foods - I store home dried and bulk dried food (eg. rices, pastas, etc.) in glass mason, commercial glass jars and occasionally commercial plastic jars.  I use a Sharpie to label these containers directly on the jar. 


2 food lovers commented:

LindaG said...

Using a sharpie or tape makes a lot of sense. You could just write over a piece of scotch tape, too, though it sometimes gets a little gummy when wet.
I imagine when you mention painter's tape, you're talking about the easy to remove tape?

Have a good week!

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Linda :) I'm talking about the green tape that comes off without leaving a residue or damaging the surface. I don't think scotch tape would work because it won't come off easily without damaging the boxes. It won't leave a residue on the Tattler lids either. So it's a frugal solution :)

Thanks so much for the well wishes! I hope you enjoy your week as well.

Take care,