My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spring Salad

As spring approaches our meal tend to lighten up a little in anticipation of the new harvest to come. My thoughts are already turning to getting the garden in along with the first of the spring harvest of lettuces, rhubarb and asparagus. Fish just seems to pair so nicely with spring vegetables

Spring Salad

Earlier in March we took advantage of a good deal on cod fillets. Then late last week Russet potatoes were on for $2.99 for 20 lb. Well we just had to buy those! We made pan fried cod and home made French fries with fry dip for dinner a couple of nights ago. Rounding out the meal was a lovely spring salad.

Sweet peas are one of my favourite vegetables to grow but they seldom are preserved rather reserved for fresh eating raw as picked. During the winter months I have to rely on frozen peas for salads. While peas do find their way into a few casseroles and soups my favourite way to use them is raw as a salad topping.

Spring salad - iceberg lettuce, chopped onion, green pepper, tomato pieces, English cucumber slices, sunflower seeds, salad dressing of choice.


6 food lovers commented:

Paula M said...

You have given me some dinner ideas here. I have never actually thought of using peas raw on a salad, I really should try this.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

i am learning all about menu planning based on what's on sale

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Paula :) Raw sweet peas are delightful on salads. I hope you do give them a try.

Garden Gnome said...

Dave, I'm not big into menu planning preferring instead to get inspiration from my pantry. You're in a bit of a different situation with only being in the US Virgin Islands temporarily. Basing meals with what's on sale makes good sense. I'll bet you will be able to come with some excellent meals using the sales as inspiration :)

CDC said...

that pan fried fish and french fries sound amazing (meaning i must be getting better:)) - i had never thought to put peas on salad! and great for getting stuff on sale!

Garden Gnome said...

Chey, I'm sure you will love peas on a salad. They just one of those perfect matches :)