My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Ham Chowder

Chowders have become my current favourite frugal meal. These potato based dishes are thinner than a stew, thicker than a soup yet are so easy to make. They quickly become winter comfort meals with their rich, . I recently wrote a Frugal Kitchen 101 on soups, stews and chowders. I've also posted on a few chowders: cheesburger chowder; pea meal bacon chowder; and corn chowder. As with soups, left-over chowder can be reinvented into a new meal for the following night's dinner.

ham chowderHam Chowder

One of the grocery store chains has shank or butt hams on for $1 per pound which is an excellent price. My husband picked up one for $10.48 so we had ham for dinner Saturday night (4 adults, 1 toddler) and sent ham home with the kids. Sunday I cut the rest of the meat from the bone then made ham stock. Ham stock is made the same as any other stock, using the bone with small bits of meat, onion, carrots, celery, a bay leaf then water to cover well. Once the stock was made I removed the bone and added peeled cubed potatoes then brought to a boil to cook the potatoes. When the potatoes were tender I stirred in pieces of ham, the reserved carrots slightly mashed and frozen corn. A bit of Worchestershire sauce and garlic pepper added the finishing touches. It was a quick, easy yet frugal meal.


0 food lovers commented: