My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Coconut Shrimp

Years ago at an alumni event I discovered coconut shrimp.  I was hooked on the first bite!  Oh my gosh they are so good.  So I decided to make them at home.  The trick to making coconut shrimp is two fold.  First you need large 16 to 20 count per pound uncooked shrimp peeled with tails attached.  The second tip is you panko bread crumbs, a crunchy Japanese style of bread crumbs.

coconut shrimp
Shrimp goes on sale here from time to time.  I usually buy larger shrimp either pre-cooked or uncooked.   Both may need peeling before using in dishes or serving.  My husband and I fried the coconut shrimp to a golden brown.  We served them with home canned plum sauce

I created my own recipe for making coconut shrimp.  It is really easy.  Just mix equal amounts of panko bread crumbs with flaked coconut.   Place about a cup of flour in a separate bowl then in another bowl whisk two eggs.  Dredge the prepared shrimp in the eggs then the flour then eggs and finally pat good with the bread crumb and coconut mixture.  Fry on medium high in peanut oil in about a half inch of oil.  Deep frying is an option but I didn't want to change out the oil for peanut oil, an oil I feel performs the best for coconut shrimp.  


0 food lovers commented: