My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Friday, May 06, 2011

Peach Delight

The amount of home canning that I do seems to mystify many.  It's funny that one question that always pops up is "How do you use it".  Using home canned foods is no different than using store bought, commercially canned foods other than you have a larger variety to choose from.  For example, I canned spirited peaches last year.  I have to admit that I don't can many products containing alcohol simply because I prefer product I can serve to everyone including our grandkids.  Of the foods I can numbering between 1,200 and 1,400 jars annually, there are only three products that contain alcohol.  These are specialty products of which I can understand the question as to how to use the product. 

peach delight
The spirited peaches was a canning experiment this year using peach schnapps.  I only made a couple of jars to see if we liked them.  Since they do have alcohol in them serving these peaches with toast for breakfast didn't seem like a very prudent idea.  I made a peach delight using one of the jars instead.

Peach delight is very easy to make.  I used one sheet of store bought butter puff pastry but    homemade puff pastry can be used.  I cut the puff pastry into six squares then placed the squares in muffin tins and baked at 375ºF until golden brown.  I placed three or four slices of peaches over each pastry shell then topped with fresh whipped cream. 

Fresh whipped cream is a true culinary delight and ever so easy to make.  I use 35% heavy whipping cream in the food processor but a blender or egg beaters can be used.  The trick is to not over beat otherwise the fats will separate giving you butter and buttermilk.  We prefer the whipped cream unsweetened with just a light splash of vanilla to highlight the buttery smoothness.


1 food lovers commented:

Mama Mia said...

So cute! Too cute, I think I wouldn't want to touch it!

Thanks for posting this. Seems easy enough to try to prepare it myself. :)