My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Homemade Kosher Dill Pickles (video)

Jams and pickles are processed using a boiling water bath (BWB) canner all you really need is a stock pot tall enough to cover the jars by 1 - inch, a rack in the bottom, mason jars and 2-piece snap lids.  The equipment is very inexpensive and chances are you already have the pot.  However,  I often run across the question of how to preserve foods like jams and pickles without the necessary canning equipment.  In this case turn to your freezer and refrigerator.  One of our family favourite pickles that I make every year is freezer pickles.  I recently came across this video showing how to make Kosher dill pickles in the refrigerator that I am planning on trying as soon as my pickling cucumbers are ready in the garden.  What is nice about this is the recipe is per jar so you can tailor it to fit your needs making one or two jars as the cucumbers become available.  I will post my results later.  I've written out the recipe for you below the video.  Kirby is a variety of cucumber.  Don't worry if you don't have Kirby as any pickling cucumber will work in this recipe.






Homemade Kosher Dill Pickles
source: About.com video
note: recipe is per quart jar of pickles

5 pickle sized Kirby cucumbers, quartered
9 oz water
5 oz white vinegar (5% acetic acid)
¼ tsp sugar
2 dill heads and stems
1 lg clove garlic
1 small onion (golf ball size)
1 tbsp Kosher salt
handful peppercorns
handful mustard seed

Wash and quarter or slice cucumbers as desired or you can leave them whole.  Chop onion and place in container.  Add sugar, garlic, salt, peppercorns and mustard seed.  Add chopped dill.  Tightly pack pickles into container.  Pour vinegar and water into sauce pan.  Bring to to just barely a boil.   Pour over cucumbers to cover.  Place the lid on the container.  Let sit for one day then refrigerate.  The pickles will be ready to eat in 10 days but the longer they sit the more dill flavour they will have.


5 food lovers commented:

Lori E said...

Here is a tip for you. I have been told that you should always cut off the blossom end of the cukes so it doesn't release an enzyme that makes your pickles go soft.
Doesn't hurt to try it.

Garden Gnome said...

Thanks so much for the tip Lori :)

Asedaii said...

Hello. I made some "Claussen" like refridgerator pickles a little more than a year ago. I went wayyy over board and I still have about 5 quarts in the refrigerator. Are they still safe to eat? They "look" fine...water not cloudy etc.

Asedaii said...

Hello :) I posted this a bit ago and was wondering if anyone might know the answer. My question was"

..."I made some "Claussen" like refridgerator pickles a little more than a year ago. I went wayyy over board and I still have about 5 quarts in the refrigerator. Are they still safe to eat? They "look" fine...water not cloudy etc."

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Asedaii, sorry for not answering sooner. I'm not familiar with the recipe you used but I do make a bread and butter freezer pickle that keeps for quite some time. I would think your pickles are safe to eat since there is no signs of spoilage. Most pickles will keep for several months opened and a lot longer if not opened.