My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Sunday, August 30, 2009

He Said (4) - Glazed Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp

If you recall my husband and I are having a bit of a contest with each of us using a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens® New Grilling Book to create a meal. In total there will be 12 recipes, 6 of his choosing and 6 of mine. The contest ends August 31 so the first week of September I will post a poll where you can vote for the meal you liked best. The rules are all the ingredients must be used but the amounts can be altered.

glazed Prosciutto wrapped shrimpGlazed Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp

My husband chose a shrimp dish as his fourth contest recipe. The recipe for the glazed prosciutto wrapped shrimp said that serving with couscous was optional. My husband served this recipe without the couscous as an appetizer. This is definitely a keeper recipe especially for using as an appetizer.

The recipe called for a bourbon grilling sauce but did not give a recipe so I made one. There are a lot of flavours going on in this appetizer. There is the sweet seafood flavour of the shrimp mixed with the saltiness of the prosciutto that mingles nicely with the mild smoky heat of the grilling sauce. It really is a lovely combination, one sure to please!

Glazed Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp
source: Meredith Corporation, Better Homes and Garden New Grilling Book, 2005. Pp. 336

½ c bourbon grilling sauce (see my recipe below)
½ tsp chili powder
24 fresh or frozen large shrimp in shells
8 thin slices prosciutto

Soak wood skewers 15 to 20 minutes. Peel and devein shrimp. Pat dry and set aside. Mix grilling sauce and chili powder. Wrap each shrimp with a half of strip of prosciutto. Thread onto a skewer. Brush with grilling sauce. Grill on medium heat until shrimp is opaque and prosciutto has defined grill marks, about 6 minutes. Remove from grill and serve as desired.

bourbon grilling sauceBourbon Grilling Sauce

The ingredients for the grilling sauce are pictured in the top photo. The bottom photo shows the 2 - 250 ml jars of canned sauce along with what was used for the shrimp (brush) and put aside for later use. I used a Vadalia onion and Jack Daniel's® Tennessee Whiskey in this recipe. I also eliminated the salt, reduced the liquid smoke and increased the tomato paste. The yield was about 1 L (4 c). Each and every time I cook I'm always alert to a canning opportunity. The flavour of this sauce even without a bit of mellowing gets rave reviews from both of us. I was impressed enough with the flavour that I canned up 2 - 250 ml test jars so will report back on those results. The remaining sauce was refrigerated for an event we are hosting mid-week.

Bourbon Whiskey Barbeque Sauce
source: my recipe

½ onion
4 cloves garlic
¾ cup bourbon whiskey
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 c ketchup
½ c tomato paste
⅓ c cider vinegar
1 tbsp liquid smoke flavoring
¼ c Worcestershire sauce
½ c packed brown sugar
⅓ tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Combine onion, garlic, and whiskey in a large skillet over medium heat. Simmer mixture for 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Yield: about 1 L (4 c)

Canning Instructions: Ladle the hot sauce into 250 ml (half-pint) jars leaving ¼-inch headspace. Wipe rims. Adjust 2 piece lids. Process 20 minutes in BWB canner at altitudes under 1,000 feet above sea level. For higher altitudes refer to altitude adjustment chart.


1 food lovers commented:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I LOVE this contest of yours. And I really love the sauce recipe. I have just started making my own, and I am very interested in other home made recipes...

as always, thanks for the efforts

Dave