My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Friday, March 09, 2007

Crabmeat Dip & Bacon Wrapped Scallops

Everyone loves appetizers! I tend to favour appetizers that are quick to make and not overly fancy. Last night I made crabmeat dip, a standby appetizer I've used for years. I also made bacon wrapped scallops, one of my husband's favourites.

Crabmeat Dip

I'm not sure where I got the recipe for this appetizer. I think it may have come from my husband's aunt as I seem to recall having it for the first time the first Christmas after we were wed. The crabmeat dip appetizer always goes over well and shows up at just about every family function. It is so quick and easy to make! Crabmeat dip is a fairly inexpensive appetizer to make at usually under $6 CDN.

Crabmeat Dip

1 8oz package cream cheese
1 120g can crabmeat
1/2 c ketchup
prepared horseradish to taste

Place the cream cheese in the centre of a serving plate. Mix crabmeat and ketchup together. Add horseradish to taste. Spoon the mixture over the cream cheese then mold using a fork. Serve with a hearty style cracker. I like to place 2 to 4 small butter knives on the tray as well.

Note: There may some weepage from the ketchup mixture. I simply clean any weepage with paper towels just before serving.

Bacon Wrapped Scallops

Bacon wrapped scallops are another easy to make appetizer. The prep time is very short but they taste like you spent a lot of time making them. These are a little more expensive to make. They are surprisingly filling though. I generally figure an average of 4 per person then add extra just in case.

There really isn't a recipe for bacon wrapped scallops. What you will need is a pound or more, depending on number of guests, of 20/40 ct fresh sea scallops and one pound of sliced bacon. Cut across the bacon strips in the centre forming two rows of half package length strips. Wrap a strip around each scallop and place onto a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Some like to secure the bacon with a toothpick but I've found a little pinch is all that's really needed to secure the bacon. Bake at 350ºF until scallops are no longer translucent and bacon is browned but not crisp. Remove from oven and drain on paper towels. Place on a serving plate. Add toothpicks for easy pick-up.


3 food lovers commented:

Garden Gnome said...

Thank-you for visiting and the invite to list in your directory. I'm glad you are enjoying my blog.

Kim said...

Hello Garden Gnome :)

My grocery store had 8 medium sized yellow bell peppers for $1 yesterday. They had hundreds of them, the same kind other stores sell for $1.50 each here.

I ended up with 2 bags of them after my dad stole one! What is the best way to preserve them do you think? I've managed to eat 3 of them raw while watching TV and I think I'm peppered out. I don't want them to go to waste, any ideas? Thanks! - Kim

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Kim, what I would do is either freeze or dry the rest of the peppers. To freeze, wash, core and chop then either vacuum seal in portion sizes or put into zipper style bags. If drying, dry at 125 degrees F until leathery. Vacuum seal for best storage or store in air tight container. HTH