My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sweet Cherry Jam Made With Certo

Things have been a little hectic here as we move into the busier canning season.  Fresh, local produce is trickling in.  After two years of reduced canning between our house being on the market and moving here last September combined with spending more time at our vacation home, I am in high gear home canning to replenish our pantry.  A couple of weeks ago, I made a batch of sweet cherry jam.   This is my husband's favourite jam and at his request I still make it with liquid Certo (pectin).  It's the only jam I make using Certo these days as I like the low sugar, gourmet results using Pomona's pectin. 

sweet cherry jam made with Certo
I used to can sweet cherry jam and most jams in 500 ml (pint) jars.  We went through it quick enough when the kids were at home and we weren't out of the country for extended periods of time like we are now.  Now I can jams and jellies mainly in the 250 ml (half-pint) jars.  Another thing I've changed and you will see more of it on this year's canning posts, is I am switching to using more of the reusable canning lids like the glass inserts (left) or Tattler lids (not pictured) and less of the metal single use lids (right).

The reusable canning lids are an eco-friendly alternative to the single use metal snap lids.  The glass inserts are vintage so are harder to come by.  I only have 5 dozen of them.  They are no longer in production so I won't be using them on any home canned foods that leave the house.  The Tattler lids are readily available and still in production.  I have 6 dozen of them with plans to buy more shortly, at least before tomatoes start.  They too are being used for the most part of home canned foods that won't be given away although a few will make it to our kids as I know they will return them.  As much as I would love to switch entirely to reusable lids it is not feasible for jars that are gifted.  Some are good at returning jars but most have not seen the reusable lids that must be treated a bit gentler than the metal lids.  It is really important to not damage the rubber gasket when remove reusable lids.  The metal single use snap lids are still in production so easy to find.  The cheapest price here is now 12.5¢ per lid plus HST, up a full 4¢ from 18 months ago! 


0 food lovers commented: