My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Easy Red Velvet Cake

'Tis the season for yummy treats!  There is an abundance of cookies, desserts and snacks at every holiday get together.  I have a repertoire of holiday recipes that I use during the Christmas holiday season.  One thing I look for when adding a new recipe to that collection is that it must be easy.  I don't want to be rushing out the door to pick up an ingredient to make a treat an hour before company is coming.

red velvet cake
Red Velvet Cake is a nice, easy to make holiday cake.  I use the Easy Red Velvet Cake recipe from the Betty Crocker website.   The nice thing about this easy recipe is it is a perfect recipe for Christmas baking with kids to make holiday baking a family affair.   Like many easy recipes, this recipe does not require a lot of ingredients or special equipment.  The recipe uses buttermilk or water.  I recommend using buttermilk for a richer flavour.  The red food colouring does not add any flavour, it just adds a festive touch to the cake.

Red Velvet Cake is generally served as a cake, cut into pieces but I like making mini Red Velvet Cupcakes for a delectable tiny treat.  I use the Christmas theme mini cupcake paper liners for the cupcakes to add a festive look.  After frosting the mini cupcakes, I garnish with a few chocolate sprinkles.  These are perfect for the dessert table and for bake sales.  They are a keeper  for the holiday season!



0 food lovers commented: