My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Saturday, October 06, 2012

Home Canned Seafood Cocktail Sauce

I have been making my own seafood cocktail sauce for a number of years.  Now the thing is you really don't have to can it if you will be using the sauce within a week.  I home can it so I have sauce to use whenever I need it.  The thing to remember about horseradish is it loses it's potency and continues to lose its' potency from the time it is cut.  Horseradish should be shredded outside due to the fumes.

home
I started out home canning seafood cocktail sauce then each year tweaked a bit.  I now have a lovely, flavourful, full bodied seafood cocktail sauce worthy of space on my pantry shelves.

This sauce really starts right from the tomatoes and you do want to use paste tomatoes.  However, the tomatoes are boiled down to form a purée before other ingredients are added.  A purée is thicker than a plain tomato sauce but thinner than tomato paste.  Tomato purée is used as a base for many tomato products including soups and sauces.  With that in mind, this year I canned up a few jars of tomato purée.  I will be discussing tomato purée in more detail shortly.  This is a must have product on your pantry shelves.


1 food lovers commented:

Anonymous said...

I am super jealous of those jars! I live in America and they don't make those kind, ousr have this weird quilt pattern that is so old fashioned and ugly...or the jars have too much writing and fruit baskets on them so you can't label them. Those are pretty, I guess I like things simple so you can see the beautiful foods inside. Love your blog, will sign up when I'm online again. Thanks for sharing your time and expertise. Luna