My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Using Tattler Reusable Canning Lids

About a year and a half ago, I wrote a review about Tattler reusable canning lids.  I do a lot of home canning and one concern has always been that the two piece metal snap lids were single use.  They can be reused for vacuum sealing and dry storage but not for canning.  On an economic level each lid cost at least 10¢ without any payback.  Now doing low volume canning, that cost wouldn't matter much but I do larger volume canning of 1,200 to 1,400 jars per year meaning my lids were costing me $120 to $140 per year.  On an environmental level, the lids either end up at a landfill or now in the recycle bin.  Both of these cost money for collection and have a high carbon footprint.  When I first discovered Tattler reusable canning lids, I was beyond excited!  Finally, here was a product that would ultimately save me money while being eco-friendly.

The USDA is the leading authority on home canning.  The only approved lid for home canning is the metal two piece snap lid BUT that is because the manufacturers of the metal two piece snap lids paid big bucks for the necessary testing.  There are reusable alternatives including glass inserts and Tattler plastic lids.  Steig has been making the Tattler reusable canning lids since 1976 BUT has not paid big bucks for USDA approval.  Their product is amazing if you ask me.  The lids can be used indefinitely but the gaskets will need to be replaced if damaged or distorted.  With proper care you should get 15 to 20 uses from the gaskets making Tattlers very cost effective for canning.

Tattler lids are used slightly different from the metal snap lids.  The original instructions said to tighten fully then turn back a quarter inch but that has been modified to tight finger tip tight.  Here is a video from Steig demonstrating how to use their lids:


1 food lovers commented:

LindaG said...

The USDA is worthless, I do believe.
Thanks for the update! :o)