My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Friday, November 04, 2011

Corn Muffins

Well the good news is I'm back in the kitchen cooking up a storm.  My gosh that move really disrupted my cooking style but it was worth it.  I've been getting used to cooking with natural gas while my husband has been fine tuning his skills on the dual fuel (propane/charcoal) grill.  We are having a lot of fun and I must say I feel so much better just being able to do a bit of cooking!

corn muffins
I knew I would be making moose meat chili for my husband to take to hunt camp.  If you order chili here (Southern Ontario) it comes with crackers or nacho chips but in the southern states that we travel through it comes with corn bread.  I decided it would be nice to make a batch of corn muffins for the guys to enjoy with their chile which of course meant I had to make a test batch first.

Jean Paré is my favorite Canadian cookbook author.  I have quite a collection of her books.  The ingredients are simple and to the point so I know I don't have to go running out to the store for some exotic ingredient that given our area I wouldn't be able to find anyway.  So I turned to her for the corn muffins and was not disappointed.  The recipe is nice that it uses basic staples and the muffins are delicious!  I modified the recipe slightly but it is still her recipe.

Corn Muffins
recipe by: Jean Paré, Company's Coming Muffins & More, 1983. Pp. 21

1¼ c unbleached flour
1 c corn meal
¼c organic granulated sugar
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 egg
¼ c vegetable oil
1 c milk

Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).  Whisk egg then stir in milk and oil, set aside.  Combine dry ingredients then make a well in the middle.  Pour the wet ingredients into the wll and mix just until moistened.  The batter will be lumpy.  Spoon into prepared muffin tin.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Serve hot or remove from pan for later use.*

*to warm - Cover the muffins and microwave 30 seconds on high.


0 food lovers commented: