My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Sunday, June 21, 2009

On the Father's Day Menu

My husband and I have never celebrated special days with paper cards or gifts between us. It stems back from our early years of high school sweethearts and quite frankly I would not have it any other way. What we do instead is do a few extra things to show our love and cook a special meal for the other. We have a couple of rules when it comes to cooking special meals for each other. First it has to be within our range of cooking abilities and second it has to be something the other requested. There is usually a slight element of surprise just to keep things interesting.

Father's Day graphicHappy Father's Day

Pictured is the special graphics I made for my husband this year for use in my blogs and scrapbooking. I recently posted my thoughts about my husband's role as a father. I have to tell you I love Photoshop® not only for creating my own graphics but also for tweaking the images for my blogs.

What many might not realize is virtually all of the images of food on this blog have been tweaked to some degree. Edges and a © mark is added. In most instances the background is removed and changed to black to put the focus on the food. At the same time I try to keep the tweaking to a minimum in order to show you the dish as it really looks. Ok so there is a little tid bit about the behind the scenes workings of this blog.

omeletOmelet

Pictured is the bacon and red onion omelet I made my husband for brunch. As you can see it is a fluffy omelet. Over the years I have seen many ways to make omelets and the main complaint is they are not light an fluffy. The main reason is cheese or milk or water is added to the egg mixture. This results in a rubbery textures far from fluffy and I like fluffy omelets! So I developed my own method of making fluffy omelets. The resulting omelet is light, fluffy with a wonderful texture.

Method: Chop onion and fry bacon pieces until almost crisp. Place bacon pieces on paper towel to absorb extra grease reserving grease. Beat 6 eggs until lemony yellow. Heat a non-stick fry pan on medium heat with a little butter or bacon fat for flavour. Pour the beaten eggs into the hot pan. Sprinkle onion and bacon pieces over the eggs. Cover the pan checking until the mixture is almost cooked through. Fold over and let cook until set. Plate. Garnish with shredded cheese and parsley.

grilled rib steakGrilled Rib Steak

My husband's dinner request was grilled steak with sautéed onions and baked beans and baked potatoes. Now for the past week he has not been able to have any red meat so I can understand the steak. I paired the grilled rib steaks with Old Vermont Baked Beans and oven baked potatoes.

The steak was grill to medium rare then topped with sautéed onions. This is a very common pairing that has appeared on this blog several times. So let me tell you how I prepare oven baked potatoes.

Method: Wash large baking (Russet, Long White, Idaho) potatoes and dry. Poke a few holes in each potato. Place in a pre-heated 180ºC (356ºF) oven. Bake until skin is crispy and flesh has a good give when pinched. Remove from oven. Split down the middle. Fluff the inside and top as desired.


1 food lovers commented:

threesidesofcrazy said...

That omelet looks wonderful!

I had an awesome brunch planned for hubby today, but then someone hit a pole and we were without power and went out instead.