My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Using Left-over Grill Roasted Chicken

Our Wal-mart had a sale of two whole chickens, regardless of the weight for $10 so I started stocking up.  My goal was 16 whole chickens total but when I stopped yesterday they were sold out so unfortunately I only managed to get 8.  Out of my first purchase of four chickens, one was roasted on the grill.  Half of the grill roasted chicken was for that night's dinner.  The other half was de-boned for wraps and stock.

de-boned grill roasted chicken
Grill roasted chicken has a lovely, light smokey flavour.  I de-boned the chicken reserving fat, cartilage, skin and bones for the stock bag (right).  This is one time where a bit of extra fat is desirable.  It adds a richness and flavour to the stock that can't be beat.  The same is true of the chicken skin.  Since the stock is de-fatted prior to canning anyway, the end result is a lovely flavoured stock without the fat but all the flavour.

The weather has been unseasonably warm here with highs in the 70's (F) and lows in the 50's (F) which is unheard of in Ontario this early in the year.  The only difference between now and early summer is the humidity levels haven't risen.  Still, I am using summer meals to keep the heat from cooking out of the house.  I cut the remaining meat into strips to make wraps for the following night's dinner.

grill roasted chicken wrap
Wraps are a delicious, easy summer meal that can be enjoyed for any meal depending on the filling.  The grill roasted chicken strips were perfect for wraps adding a delicious flavour boost.  I added a little homemade mayonnaise, iceberg lettuce, grape tomatoes cut in half, a little Italian dressing and light sprinkling of grated cheddar cheese to complete the wraps.

Normally I tuck both ends end then wrap and cut in half on a diagonal for presentation.  This time I tucked in one end then rolled, leaving the 10 - in wraps whole, secured with a toothpick for a bit different presentation.  There was just enough chicken left over for my husband's lunch the next day.


0 food lovers commented: