My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cobb Salad Wrap

We eat a lot of salads so I always appreciate finding a new spin on salads. I really enjoyed the cobb salad from Magnolia's at the Four Queen's in Las Vegas so when I saw a recipe for Classic Cobb Wraps in the Fall '09 issue of Kraft Foods What's Cooking magazine I just had to try it. Now for those who don't know this magazine is free. It does of course strongly feature Kraft® products but what is nice is a week's worth of recipes is presented and the recipes can easily be modified to use other brands or homemade versions. The recipes are always presented with gorgeous colour pictures and are quite easily duplicated. Oh and did I mention this great magazine is free? Just head over to kraft.ca and sign up for your free copy sent out quarterly.

cobb salad wrapCobb Salad Wrap

The cobb salad I enjoyed in Las Vegas was presented nicely on an oval plate. It consisted of iceburg lettuce, bacon pieces, blue cheese, tomatoes, chopped hard boiled eggs, chicken pieces, cucumber and red onion all laid neatly in rows. The salad dressing was the customer's choice. The classic cobb wrap in What's Cooking had romaine lettuce, deli turkey, bacon, tomato, avocado, shredded cheddar cheese and ranch dressing wrapped in a four tortilla. I decided to take a few liberaties with this wrap because after all I was the one who was going to eat it.

I added a thin layer of Miracle Whip® to the flour tortilla then topped with romaine lettuce, deli turkey, bacon, tomato, avocado, red onions, shredded cheddar cheese and low calorie Thousand Island dressing. The end result was a lovely tasting and very filling wrap not identical to the cobb salad I enjoyed but with hints of that flavour. The next time I make this wrap I will add chopped eggs and cucumber.

I should bring up one important consideration. This is called a cobb salad wrap if you go by my name or classic cobb wrap if you duplicate the recipe in What's Cooking. At best you are getting a similar flavour to a cobb salad but you aren't getting a cobb salad you are getting a wrap with a similar flavour. What happens is someone will invariably say this is supposed to taste like this particular food but it isn't identical or it has different flavours. This is most notable in things like the cheeseburger pasta, cheeseburger chowder, all dressed potato soup, mock smores and so many other recipes that are meant to mimic but not replace the food they are named after. So simply enjoy them as they are :)


4 food lovers commented:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I like this...

Funny, I think the last time I had a cobb salad was in Vegas... the old Brown Derby in the MGM Grand

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Marg and thanks for visiting :) Using a wrap adds another depth to the dimension of salads.

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Dave :) The Cobb salad was created in 1937 by Robert Cobb of The Brown Derby in Los Angeles, California. The Brown Derby restaurant was a chain so I'm sure most locations served the salad. IIRC, the Brown Derby at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas operated from 1996 - 2006. Many restaurants serve their own variation of a Cobb salad.

Meila said...

looks divine!