My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Monday, May 21, 2007

Asparagus & Ham Brunch Bread

Asparagus is one vegetable I haven't experimented a lot with despite the fact we eat a lot of it. So when I saw the recipe for asparagus in the Ontario Foodland Gazette, I just had to try it. Everyone enjoyed this unique quick bread. The results and recipe follow.




Asparagus & Ham Brunch Bread
source: Foodland Ontario Gazette, 2007

3 c biscuit mix
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 c milk
2 lb fresh asparagus
1 c Black Forest ham, diced
1 c onion, diced
1 c fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Mix biscuit mix, tarragon, mustard and pepper in a larg bowl. Combine eggs and milk in another bowl. Pour over the dry mixture and stir until smooth. Spread half of mixture in greased 13' x 9' cake pan. Cut ends from asparagus. Arrange in a single layer over the batter. Sprinkle ham, onion and half the cheese over the asparagus. Top with the rest of the batter. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 375ºF for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan on rack for 20 minues before serving warm or at room temperature.

Notes: The instructions said to divide the asparagus and ham in half then spred on the first layer, top with biscuit mix and top with the second half. I only did one layer of the vegetables and was happy with the results. I think sauteed mushrooms would be a nice addition.


3 food lovers commented:

The Gatekeeper said...

Maybe you should publish a cook book. Or do you already have one? This blog is good enough to publish. Nice and yummy.

Garden Gnome said...

Hi gatekeeper and thanks for stopping by. Thank-you for your lovely compliments! I hadn't thought of publishing a cookbook but my genealogy work as a story of my ancestors in series format is underway. I'll have to think it through as to whether to publish an actual cookbook. I'm so glad others are enjoying the recipes.

Garden Gnome said...

Suzi, it really was good! It was perfect for brunch over the Victoria Day weekend and we had enough for four small pieces Sunday for breakfast. This will be one recipe I will do a bit of tinkering with.