My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Friday, August 06, 2010

Grilled Rib Steak With Accordion Potatoes

Potatoes tend to be the main starch of choice in our house.  Our two favourite year round ways to cook potatoes is steamed or baked.  In the summer potatoes are wrapped in foil or cubed into foil pouches for cooking on the grill.  A few days ago I was doing a bit of blog hopping and came across a different way to prepare potatoes.  The potatoes were cut accordion style then baked for a lovely presentation.

before and after cooking
The potatoes are more of a method rather than a recipe.  I modified the method to use the grill using 2 large baking potatoes.  I poured a little olive oil in the bottom of a foil pan.  Then I cut the potatoes into partial slices not cutting fully through the bottom and place them in the pan.  I topped with a healthy dab of butter and sprinkled with garlic pepper.    I covered with tinfoil then put on the grill on indirect medium-high heat for about 40 minutes.

rib steak with accordion potatoes
The accordion potatoes were served with grilled rib steak and roasted beets.  Despite being baked potatoes the accordion potatoes almost have a deep fried potato texture somewhat like thick French fries.  The presentation is quite lovely as well.  A flipper is needed to plate the potatoes but they aren't quite as fragile as they look. 

Fresh beets are a real delight!  I bought fresh beets at the organic farm.  I peeled the  beets then placed in a foil packet with a little olive oil for cooking on the grill.  They took about the same cooking time as the potatoes.  It was a wonderful summer grilled meal!


4 food lovers commented:

LindaG said...

But how did you marinate your steak? ;)
You are making me hungry and I just ate lunch, haha! :)

Have a good weekend!

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Linda :) My husband is not fond of marinades or rubs for steaks so what you are seeing is a perfectly cooked rib steak as it was meant to be. The steaks were cooked to medium rare on the outdoor grill. We are huge beef eaters here. We buy on the hoof, organically raised, hormone free so the beef really doesn't need marinating.

I hope you enjoy your weekend too :)

LindaG said...

Thanks for the info! Definitely looks delicious. And thank you. :)

Garden Gnome said...

You're quite welcome :)