My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Motivation for Cooking

This likely sounds a bit funny but even people like me who love to cook need motivation. Yesterday I had five motivators yet any one on its own might not have done it. I stopped at our local grocery store where I found prime rib roast, pork roast and chicken on sale and all for a very good price. So I picked up some of each. The weather was absolutely lovely so it was a good day to barbeque, motivator number two. I know we can grill indoors but the outdoor grill does it better. Then my husband called an after hearing about the prime rib roast, he said we should grill it so that was motivator number three. Foodtv in the background is my normal day but just after that phone call the grilling show came on so that was motivator number four. The final motivator was the chives. Any time chives are up I'm cutting them. We eat chives likely six days a week in any dish I can work them into. Chives are great producers and like to spred so you really need to like them before planting. I have one main chive plant and transplanted the babies to a barrel. The flowers are very pretty and chive vinegar is a real treat. Even though we use a lot of chives, I still have way too much!

Here's what I made. The pork roast was grilled slowly then glazed with an apple maple glaze. The chicken was also grilled but got a honey maple glaze. Most of the chicken was destined to be frozen for later use in wraps although some went to a couple of sons. The prime rib was put into an enameled pan I keep for the grill. Then it was roasted sort of but on the grill. The meat melted in your mouth. It was so good!

Check back as I'm going to start adding pictures and recipes.


0 food lovers commented: