My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Yogurt Bread

I've been making most of our breads for quite some time and while I have the family favourite recipes, I'm always looking for a new bread recipe to try.  I made yogurt bread a couple of years ago and it quickly moved right into the family favourite bread recipes.  It has good texture and flavour that is sure to please!

yogurt bread
I make a lot of yogurt because we use a lot of yogurt not only for eating as is but for making dips, cooking and baking.  Yogurt is a great tenderizer for meats but it really shines in baked goods.  It adds a subtle flavour that really falls under secret ingredient in that it is not a distinctive flavour but rather the flavour notes that make the dish If you love crusty style bread with a moist, fluffy inside you are going to love this yogurt bread!  It is a good dinner bread as well as being a great sandwich bread.

Yogurt Bread

1⅓ c plain yogurt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
3¼ c unbleached flour
1½ tsp instant yeast

Mix dry ingredients together in stand mixer bowl on setting 1.  Pour in yogurt.  Mix until dough cleans side of bowl.  Turn mixer to setting 3 and knead until smooth and elastic.  Remove from mixer bowl.  Form into a loaf and place in buttered loaf pan.  Lightly brush butter over the loaf.  Cover with moist T-towel.  Let rise until double.  Bake at 200ºC (400ºF) until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped.  Remove from oven.  Slice with a serrated knife. 


3 food lovers commented:

Melodee said...

I have a couple questions before I make this bread. Is the yeast t. or T? also is the yogurt the only liquid or is there suppose to be water? I am just wondering about activating the yeast since most breads start with warm water that you put yeast into.
Thanks

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Melodee and thanks for visiting. The yeast being used is instant yeast quite often used for bread machines so there is no activation needed prior to making the dough. The yeast is tsp (teaspoons) which I noticed I left out so will correct that mistake. The yogurt is the only liquid added. I too was skeptical but it worked like a charm. I did add about 1 tsp extra which is normal when adjusting for consistency. HTH and enjoy the bread.

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Surreal Princess and thanks for visiting :) You are quite welcome. I hope you enjoy the bread.