My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Monday, August 08, 2022

Thank-you!

A comment was left to thank me for being back.  Oh my gosh!  What a lovely comment.  Thank-you so very much!  Not once did I ever think what I wrote actually mattered.  I write because I believe in what I'm doing and want to share that with others. 

At the moment, everyone is dealing with inflation, shrinkflation and uncertainty.  If we are honest with ourselves, we are also dealing with anxiety, fear and anger.  The latter three serve as motivators but they are also harmful physically, mentally and spiratually.  We cannot prep out pantries out of any of these emotions and quite frankly at this point we must deal with inflation and shrinkflation to the best or our abilities.  Let's use this time instead to discover new skills, preserve what we can and channel anger into productivity.

So, my newest skill is foraging.  Caution: always have a positive identification before using or consuming any foraged plant.  I use the app PlantNet.  I am impressed that our lack of lawn maintenance is giving us an abundant resource for edible and medicinal plants.  In our urban yard we have: common marrow, two netttles, plantain, common dock, dandelion, clover, purslane, riverbank grape, lambs ear and mullein.   Oh and maybe a little grass mixed in!

Again, relax and enjoy the opportunity we have been gifted with.  As you stock your pantries from all sources, do so without fear but determination and gratitude.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2022


0 food lovers commented: