My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Thursday, May 05, 2022

Grow What You Can

During both World Wars folks were encouraged to grow whatever they could.  Victory gardens were encouraged.  Many folk across Canada still have a home garden while many more have turned to indoor hydroponic gardening.  Given the current geopolitical events, high inflation rates heading towards  hyperinflation, quickly rising food prices, and increasing warnings of food shortages the advice is to grow what you can.   My belief is everyone should grow whatever they can.  A surprising amount of food can be grown in a 4' x 4' raised bed or containers on balconies.  Herbs and salad greens can be grown on window sills.  Both sprouts and microgreens are easy to grow indoors and require very, very little space.  

My gardening efforts are both indoors and outdoors.  I grow outdoors on the deck in containers mainly using the Kratky method (passive hydroponics) that is very low maintenance, high yield gardening perfect for greens, tomatoes and some herbs.  A large pots of herbs, strawberries, beans and peas I use 2 wide mouth mason jars for my sprouts and grow microgreens in a 10" x 12" tray.  Two repurposed clear plastic take-out clamshell containers serve as mini greenhouses to start seeds or grow extra microgreens as needed.  The lower bathroom bathtub is filled with deck plants overwintering soon to be moved outside.  The lighting for those is tied into our home automation system.  I use watering spikes in some outdoor pots but others are on an automatic watering system while the indoor pot are on a watering system tied into our home automation as well.  I also have a 6 pod Aerogarden that is also surprisingly quite productive. 

Seeds are by far, less expensive that the starter plants so I tend to start whatever plants I can from seed.  I prefer heirloom seeds to hybrids as they breed true so can be saved from mature plants and I prefer organic seeds for sprouting or microgreens.  Seeds at Home Hardware, Canadian Tire and Walmart range in price $0.99 to $3.50 per package.  Seeds at Dollarama (Canadian origin) are 3 pks/$1 or $0.33 each.  Dollar Tree seeds (USA origin) are 4 pks/$1.25 or $0.31 each.  Sprouting and microgreen seeds are exactly the same as what you would plant in the ground or containers but they are bought in bulk.  I buy from organic sprouting seeds from Mumm's (Saskatchewan) and organic mustard seeds from Splendor Garden (Saskatchewan).  Splendor Garden also has bulk herbs and spices.  I get grains like wheat berries, kamut kernels, and etc., directly from organic flour mills.

Garden Gnome
©2006-2022


0 food lovers commented: