My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Sourdough Starter

A sourdough starter is the basis of sourdough breads.  It is not difficult to make but it does require maintenance.  Only two ingredients are required:  flour (unbleached, whole, rye) and non-chlorinated water.  Nothing else should be added!  The vessel used needs to be large enough to allow the starter to double in size without overflowing.  A kitchen scale is highly recommended.

I have two sourdough starters on the go, both in 500 ml mason jars.  To the right in the older Crown mason jar, is my whole wheat starter.   I began with 50 g whole wheat and 50 g water (1:1) plus the weight of the jar (important when feeding).  The next day, I removed all but 25 g and fed with a 1:1 giving a final result of 1:2:2.  By Day 4 the discard can be used for other baking and I switched to a 1:3:3.  When the starter doubles in size 4 - 5 hrs after feeding it is ready to use for sourdough breads.  The discard can be used anytime.  

To the left, is a white flour starter made using sourdough starter I dehydrated circa 1999.  This demonstrates an important part of sourdough making.  Once you get a good starter going, always dehydrate some just in case the starter dies.  That way, you always have a backup source.  I currently have 454 g of the 1999 rejuvenated starter and 386 g of the whole wheat starter dried dehydrated for future use.

The fermentation process for making sourdough starter relies on wild yeast in the flour.  Rye flour has the highest wild yeast content followed by whole wheat.  White flours have the lowest wild yeast content.  You can always start with one flour then slowly shift it over to another if desired.  The liquid that forms on sourdough is the hooch.  It will have an alcohol smell and is a normal part of the process.  Simply stir it back into the starter and continue your feeding schedule.  If your starter develops a vinegar smell (also normal) it means the fermentation is occurring at too low of a temperature.  Feed the starter and move to a warmer location.  Whole wheat starters require higher maintenance.  While some put their starters and discard in the fridge if going on vacation, I don't.  A couple of days away won't hurt the starter and for longer periods of time (cottage, vacation home) I take my starter with me.  Worse case scenario, I can restart a starter from the dehydrated starter.
 


1 food lovers commented:

tweezle said...

I'm so happy you have returned! I cannot tell you how much I missed your posting and wisdom. I love sourdough and was surprised to see you dehydrate some of your starter. Where is a good place to find reliable information on how to do this process? Again, so happy you are back!