My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Kitchen Quick Tips - Nut Substitution

kitchen quick tips

If a cookie or cake recipe calls for nuts you can substitute oatmeal browned in a bit of butter for a nice flavour and crunch.


6 food lovers commented:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

good tip... I always have oats around

Rebecca said...

Oh this is great! I like nuts, but prefer them separate, in bowls, and not in my baking. I love this substitute!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, my friend!

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Rebecca and thanks for visiting. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well :)

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Dave, wishing you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Laura and thanks for visiting. When you get a cookie dough like this try chilling it until the dough is workable. Then roll it on the baking sheet and cut it there. Remove the excess dough and you will have nicely formed cookies. For some reason gingerbread cookie dough just seems to be very sticky.

Gargantua said...

Wow! That is a substitution I never would have considered. I like nuts in my baking, but the Doc keeps saying we need more "whole grains". This would be an excellent way to sneak some in. Thanks for the tip!

Merry Christmas!