My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Sunday, November 01, 2009

October Contest Wrap-up & Kitchen Chit Chat

Campbell's Soup Kids Cook

My gosh I can't believe it is November 1st already! Where has the year gone? We are now starting to gear up getting things ready for the holiday season. So it's time to sit and do a little chit chatting in the kitchen. October began with a lovely five day road trip of which I shared some of the highlights. When we arrived home I was back into preserving mode thanks to the generosity of a friend who dropped off nine dozen ears of corn. As you know my husband and I ran a small contest in October to discover a couple new ingredients. My husband chose ground turkey for his two creations and I used coconut milk. This contest was fun simply because neither of us built on what we already knew. I'm not going to create a poll for this contest because it was just meant to add a bit of inspiration in our cooking. Towards the end of the month I ran a poll regarding microwave usage. I have to tell you I was a bit surprised at the results.

Of the seventy seven voters 46% used their microwave ovens 2 or more times a day, 24% used their microwave ovens at least once a day, 14% used their microwave 2 to 6 times per week, 2% used their microwave oven once a week, zero used their microwave oven less than once a week and 11% did not have a microwave oven. From this data it appears for those owning a microwave oven use them. What I also realized is we are in the minority at using ours at maybe at best just barely squeaking into using our microwave oven 2 to 6 times a week but that is really stretching it. In keeping with my philosophy that every appliance in my kitchen must earn it's keep I am embarking on an adventure on how to use the microwave oven more effectively.

I have a few ideas for what is to come in November's posts. Many are trying to find frugal Christmas presents so I will be posting a few loving from the kitchen ideas that aren't going to cost you a lot. It also a busy and expensive time of the year so I will be posting a bit more about using the microwave oven. Finally I have venison, moose, wild geese, wild duck and fresh caught fish (perch, bass, pickerel) so will be posting on that as well. Aside of that you will likely notice a few subtle changes in the layout but nothing disruptive of major. If there is I will be sure to give you a warning.


0 food lovers commented: